Our curriculum is based on an understanding that children are hard wired to learn and is carefully planned in line with the National Curriculum and Early Years framework. It is developed through an understanding of what we know about how young children learn, what engages our children and what is relevant to their lives. It places an emphasis on securely developing an understanding of spoken language, vocabulary and listening comprehension skills because we know that literacy skills are not possible without them.
It exposes them to the immediate and local environment, the arts, sport, adventure, creativity and challenge. It reflects the rich and varied cultures in our community and beyond and focuses on building on knowledge and skills.
It also recognises the importance of the Characteristics of Effective Learning
- Finding out & exploring
- Using what they know
- Being willing to have a go
- Being involved & concentrating
- Keeping on trying
- Enjoying achieving what they set out to do
- Having their own ideas
- Using what they already know to learn new things
- Choosing a way to do things and finding new ways
In promoting positive attitudes and dispositions that underpin progress and attainment and are central to academic success.
Our curriculum aims to develop
- successful learners who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve
- confident and resilient individuals who are able to live healthy, happy and fulfilling lives
- responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society with an understanding of their rights and responsibilities and who are respectful of others regardless of gender, faith, culture or sexuality
To find out more about the curriculum the school is following please see our curriculum overviews page